2/21/12

Shepherd's Pie Baked Potato


There are some cooking tasks that I don't mind. Washing the dishes after baking or making a meal never really bothers me. At least not as much as seeing the dirty dishes on the counter. Kneading bread dough, washing lettuce, chopping onions - all fine in my book. Peeling potatoes, however . . . 

Peeling potatoes is my least favorite task. I avoid it at all costs. 

In fact, I'm secretly hoping that I can raise my kids to love peeling potatoes so that I will never have to peel another potato again. I'm starting with this one in utero by playing potato peeling sounds directly to my belly and eating lots of mashed potatoes. I'll let you know how it goes. Some parents play Mozart to make their kids smarter. Others are me. 

Since I dislike peeling potatoes so much, I find myself collecting recipes where peeling is not required. We have smashed potatoes at our house, and oven fries always have the skin on. I was excited when I ran across a recipe for shepherd's pie baked potatoes on Holly's website and realized I could have shepherd's pie without making mashed potato topping. So many steps cut out, including the peeling! Win. Holly's recipe looked delicious, but due to my husband's non-tomato preference, I knew there was too much tomato soup and sauce in it to fly at our house. Instead, I stole the idea and used a skillet shepherd's pie recipe that I love for the topping. 

I love baked potatoes in general, but this is one of my new favorite ways to top them. I like all the veggies in it, and it is just saucy enough to be able to mix in with the baked potato underneath. Beside cutting out a lot of steps and work in making the mashed potatoes for a regular shepherd's pie, using a baked potato also cuts out a lot of butter and cream. I like it when easier recipe alternatives also are better for me. And faster. Which is good because I think we've still got at least a few more years before I can put baby #1 to work peeling them for me.


 
Shepherd's Pie Baked Potato

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 pound 95 percent lean ground beef or chicken, or 1 pound lean red meat, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • Salt and pepper
  • 6 large Russet potatoes, baked
  • Butter

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the carrots and onion and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are softened, 6-8 minutes.
  2. Stir in the beef or cubed meat and cook, breaking up ground beef chunks with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, garlic and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the broth, worchestershire and thyme.
  3. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened but still saucy, 15-20 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the peas and corn and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Slice open each baked potato and sdd a pat of butter to each potato. Top with 1/6 of the shepherd's pie mixture and serve.
Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 35 min Serves: 6

Recipe Source: Concept from Lovely Little Snippets as seen on Life As A Lofthouse. Topping adapted from America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook



15 Click For Comments:

I like peeling better than scrubbing potatoes, but this recipe definitely looks good. 

This looks delicious. I have a similar recipe bookmarked to try out soon, this makes me want it sooner!

I will gladly come over and peel all the potatoes you want if you wash dishes for me or chop my chocolate :)  Seriously though, I love this idea!  It's probably too veggie-heavy for my picky husband but I'll definitely make it for myself sometime.

what an awesome idea!  Kind of shepards pie in reverse.  I will be honest, peeling potatoes is not a favorite task of mine either, which is why more often than not, I buy the frozen oreida potatoes that are peeled and diced.  you just nuke them and add your favorite mashed potato add ins and mash.  Easy peasy,  no peeling.  lol  Ya, I am kind of lazy like that.  lol 

What a fabulous recipe!  I eat baked potatoes often because they are so easy to whip up after a long day.  I would love to try this--it would even be great to make the topping ahead of time so that you have it on hand when the craving hits.

Now THIS is a stuffed potato I wanna try! It looks awesome, thanks for sharing :)

It's so true, Courtney, that's one thing I loved about it. I had the topping in the fridge and all I had to do at night or at lunch was heat it up and microwave a potato.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as already peeled and diced potatoes! I think you just changed my life. And the lives of my future children. :)

This is a great idea! Although I have to tell you, I never peel potatoes. When I make mashed potatoes I buy thin-skinned varieties and I mash the skin right in with the potato. It's healthier that way too!

This is so super creative! Love it. Beautiful photos too!

I love this! Baked potatoes aren't high on my list of favorites...unless they're stuffed. This is seriously perfect :)

As a part-time Brit and baked potato addict, I must say that you're making me slobber!

It takes a minute, or less, to peel a potato. I am willing to invest that amount of time for the ascetics. Thus avoiding potato skins stuck between people's teeth (not a pretty sight!) 
Twice-baked potatoes would be perfect for this recipe.

You can come over any time you want and peel potatoes for me and I'll do your dirty dishes in return. I've never gotten potato skins stuck in my teeth, but I can imagine it wouldn't be a good look. :)

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover