2/7/12

Brie-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Pear and Cider Sauce


Do you go out for Valentine's day, or stay in? Who cooks? Do you make a special meal, or take it easy and order pizza?

In our house, we've traditionally stayed in. Making reservations is not a strength for either me or my husband, so going out generally isn't in our plans. Plus, I always feel like I could cook something delicious for a fraction of the cost of going out. Then I spend a fortune on special ingredients to make that gourmet dinner and it ends up costing the same as going to a restaurant.

Maybe more.

And I'm tired and exhausted by the time dinner is done and I just want to go to bed.

That's why I'm finally learning to plan meals that I can make ahead, like this brie-stuffed chicken with pear-cider sauce. Sounds fancy, doesn't it? Worthy of of a Valentine's meal, right? How can you go wrong with a moist, flavorful chicken breast covered with a rich pear cider sauce and oozing with warm, melted Brie? Especially when you can make the pear-cider sauce and stuff the chicken ahead of time, so when it comes to the actual dinner, you only need to brown the chicken and bake it. No running around, frantically chopping things or dealing with 5 different prep bowls. I can use the baking time to whip up a side dish or just relax with some chocolate.

And relaxing with chocolate is really what Valentine's day is all about, isn't it?



Brie-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Pear and Cider Sauce

Ingredients

Pear and Cider Sauce


  • 2 T unsalted butter
  • 2/3 of a small onion, minced (reserve remaining third for the stuffing)
  • 3 ripe Bosc pears, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
  • 3 cups fresh cider
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Stuffing


  • 6 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed and cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/3 of a small onion, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Chicken

  • 3 large chicken breasts
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Make the pear and cider sauce: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add minced onion and cook for 3 minutes or until soft and tender, stirring often. Add the pears and toss briefly. Add the cider and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, whisking occasionally. Blend the mixture (make sure to vent the blender to allow steam to escape) and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or place in a covered container in the fridge until serving time.
  2. Stuff the chicken: Mix Brie, coriander, onion and a pinch of salt together in a medium bowl. Cut each chicken breast in half width-wise. Cut a pocket in each half by inserting a sharp knife into each breast horizontally, stopping about half an inch from the opposite side. Open the incision with your fingers, creating a pocket. Divide stuffing mixture evenly among chicken breast halves. Chicken breasts can be stuffed up to a day ahead of time and refrigerated until cooking time.
  3. Cook the chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge each chicken breast half in flour, shaking off excess. Brown the chicken in the skillet, cooking each side about 4 minutes. Place browned chicken in a casserole dish and bake 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Serve chicken over rice with warmed pear and cider sauce.
Prep Time: 45 min, including 30 min simmering time Cook Time: 35 min Serves: 6

Recipe Source: Dishing Up Vermont by Tracey Medeiros



9 Click For Comments:

You know, I've been trying to figure out what to make for Valentine's Day for my somewhat picky eater, and this may be it! That cheese oozing out looks fantastic :)

My mouth is watering just looking at this pic right now Nicole!  What a winning combo!  You are so right about eating out vs eating in.  Sometimes its not worth all the work!  ( and the expense once you buy everything, prep it, make it and then clean it up!)  I once reduced cider for a sauce for pork and OMG...so good.  I imagine this sauce would be similar!  Yum.  Pinning it!

These look so tasty! I am like you and eat in on valentine's day. We are buying "happy cow steak" next week, so dinner is still expensive (meat alone is $20!) but we know it will be absolutely mouth watering. :) I haven't figured out side dishes or, most importantly, dessert, but I will work on that. :) Something with chocolate for sure. 

My own picky eater ate it, so hopefully yours would love it, too. :)

I was surprised how much I liked the sauce - even more than the cheese, if you can believe it. Now you're making me realize how good it would be over pork. Glad I still have leftovers!

Mmm, your steak sounds so good. I think you should have chocolate for the sides AND dessert. :)

Nicole-
We stay in too.  This looks like a wonderful way to spend the day.  Can't wait to give it a try.
Karen

Beautiful Nicole!  I love the Brie in there!

We generally stay in too.  I just always feel like I can splurge on ingredients for a nicer-than-usual meal while still spending less than I would if we went out.  Your chicken looks like a great option - love the make-ahed factor!

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover