8/22/11

Parmesan Zucchini Quick Bread


"You know, they say that you can tell how many friends you have by whether you have to buy zucchini or not." 

That's what the lady at the farm stand said to me as I picking out zucchini the other day. I'm assuming she was just trying to make conversation, but since I had loaded my arms with about 10 zucchini, I couldn't help feeling that it must look like I didn't have a friend in the world. 

There are always a couple options for how to react when someone mistakenly offends you. I thought for a second about telling her that life was a lonely, lonely journey for me and how most of the time I just try my hardest to forget how friendless I am. Maybe even squeeze out a tear or two.

Honesty won over, though, and instead I said, "Oh, I just really love zucchini bread."

Honesty really is the best policy, anyway, isn't it?

And I do really love zucchini bread. This is the time of year when I shred pounds and pounds worth of zucchini, lovingly measure it into ziploc bags and freeze it away to use during those dark days of winter. That yearly ritual happened last night at our house, and I saved out a couple cups to use for a batch of bread right then. Much as I love my regular zucchini bread, though, for one of the first times in my life I wasn't in the mood for something sweet. I blame the large quantities of saltwater taffy, ice cream, cookies and other goodies I ate this weekend while my husband and I were visiting his grandma. Also, the large amounts of saltwater taffy, cookies and other goodies I ate in the car on the way there and back.

Fortunately for me, this Parmesan zucchini bread isn't sweet at all. It's a perfect, herby, cheesy bread that lives up to the name of quick bread and goes so well with just about any soup, pasta dish or grilled meat. It's light and fluffy and moist without being oily. I love the salty Parmesan in it and the how easily you can adjust the flavor by changing up the herbs you use. My current favorites are fresh oregano with a pinch of fresh choped rosemary, but you can use any of your favorites. If you are lucky enough to have some fresh zucchini, (and I won't judge you if you bought it for yourself) give this savory zucchini bread a try with your next dinner.  



Ingredients:

  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, minced - rosemary and thyme work well
  • 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 cups grated zucchini

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350° Prepare the loaf pans -­ brush with olive oil or use non stick cooking spray.

2. Whisk together the 2 flours, Davis Baking Powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center and add the oil, eggs, buttermilk, honey, herbs, 1 1/2 cups of the Parmesan cheese and the zucchini. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix together. Do not over mix or the dough will become tough.

3. Divide evenly among the prepared pans. Top with the reserved 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

4. Cool on a wire rack.

Recipe Source: Clabber Girl 

0 Click For Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover