5/27/11

Mojito Melon


My husband picks great watermelon. Are you gifted at this? I've decided it's a skill you either have or you don't. 

I don't. 

I spend so long at the watermelon display in the grocery store, looking over the watermelons and closely examining them for some clue as to whether they taste sweet or just plain watery. My husband goes in, thumps a few, and somehow comes out with a great tasting watermelon. I think it's a family trait because his dad and grandma pick good watermelons. I'm secretly hoping that our kids inherit his watermelon picking abilities. 

Some parents think about what their kids will be when they grow up. I worry whether my future kids will pick good watermelons. 

Well, in case you are like me and can't pick a good watermelon to save your life, this recipe is for you. Even if you can pick a good watermelon, this recipe is still for you. It is amazing. Sweetened lime juice in combination with fresh mint gives watermelon an amazing flavor that is sweet and a little citrusy with just enough mint to make it completely refreshing. It's very addictive. The last time I made this I think I ate half a watermelon, and I was still craving more even after my stomach couldn't possibly fit in another bite. I've already got watermelon on my grocery list for this Memorial Day weekend, and we're not even going out to any BBQs. I just want it all to myself. If you find yourself needing a refreshing, simple treat this summer, give this a try. 



Mojito Melon

Note: Some steps of this recipe require time to cool, so make sure you start this a hour or so ahead of the time you want to eat it.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup warm water
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tsp freshly grated lime zest
1 medium large watermelon (8-10 lbs)
2 T fresh mint, preferably spearmint, finely chopped

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, whisk sugar with 1/4 cup warm water and salt until sugar is dissolved. (I microwave mine with frequent stirring if it doesn't dissolve quickly in the warm water.) Stir in lime juice and zest. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour. (Syrup can be made ahead, chilled and covered for up to 3 days.)

2. Cube watermelon into 1 inch pieces and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. As close to serving time as possible, stir mint into syrup and drizzle over watermelon pieces. Toss. Serve chilled.

Recipe Source: adapted from Epicurious.com

0 Click For Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover