9/16/11

Sliced Pear Dessert Pizza


Unpleasant Surprise of the Week #1: Learning that when someone slams the door shut in the middle stall of the bathroom at work, the door to the stall left of it will pop open. Wide open. And since it is one of those wheelchair accessible stalls, it may or may not be just about impossible to grab that wide door and shut it without having to get up. 

Unpleasant surprise of the week #2: Not all air poppers are made the same. Some just spew lava hot kernels instead of popped corn.

Unpleasant surprise of the week #3: Forgetting #1 and having it happen again. 

There have been some pleasant surprises. I went jean shopping and actually found jeans I like. That fit well. I'm already making plans to buy about 10 more pairs. I kind of hate finding jeans. It's more like a chore than shopping. 

The other pleasant surprise was this pizza. In fact, it was more than pleasant. It was amazing. Where-have-you-been-all-my-life-I-can't-bake-pears-any-other-way amazing. The pears are thinly sliced and layered loosely on top of pizza dough, then covered with sweetened creme fraiche, golden raisins and praline pecans. The combination of all those flavors on a pizza crust completely blows regular ol' cinnamon sugar dessert pizza out of the water. Have you had praline pecans? They alone are reason to try this pizza. The bit of sweetness and soft crunch that they add is just perfect. If you can't find any at the grocery store, you could always make your own or substitute your favorite sweetened, glazed nut. Do try to find them at your grocery store, though. And then trying to stop sneaking handfuls out of the bag in your pantry multiple times a day. The solution to this, of course, is to make another batch of this dessert pizza to use them up. 

It's a win any way you slice it. 

(Un?)pleasant surprise #3: I'm punny.



Sliced Pear Dessert Pizza

Ingredients

  • 1 batch pizza dough (enough for one 12 inch pizza)
  • 4 ounces creme fraiche (about 1/2 cup; I've never tried it, but sour cream might work as a substitute.)
  • 4 teaspoons light brown sugar
  • 2 d’anjou pears
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/3 cup praline pecans, very coarsely chopped

Directions

  1. Prepare the oven (or grill) for baking pizza at 500°F
  2. Combine the creme fraiche and sugar in a bowl.
  3. Core the pears and slice paper-thin (a mandolin works well for this) to help them cook quickly. You can peel them first, but I prefer to leave the skins on.
  4. Roll out the pizza dough into a 12 inch circle.
  5. Layer the pear slices on the pizza, loosely folding each slice over on itself for a more airy pizza. Add the raisins and pralines and then drizzle creme fraiche mixture over the top.
  6. Transfer to the preheated pizza stone and bake for about 12-14 minutes until the crust is crisp and the edges of the pears are browning.
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 15 min Ready in: 25 min Serves: 4-6

Recipe Source: Adapted from Russ Faulk of Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet.


18 Click For Comments:

This looks tasty! I had a few unpleasant surprises this week too. First, I misread the estimate for my tile floors, so they cost $1,000 more than I thought (gulp). Second, my cat has a bacterial infection, which would explain all the new scars from scratching. But I had pleasant surprises, too, like a new cookbook that someone left on my dining room table just to say thanks for hosting them, and a ton of excellent peaches and nectarines from the farmer's market. I'll just push the unpleasant bits out of my mind and focus on the pleasant ones. :) And speaking of pleasant things, this pizza looks super delicious. I haven't ever had a dessert pizza. I'm kind of afraid to, but if you say it's good, I'll try it! 

Haha, you crack me up Nicole! OMG, isn't jeans shopping the worst?? I'm totally the kind of shopper that buys an  item in 5 colors when I find something that actually fits. This dessert pizza looks soooooo good. I def have to try.

oh man, you are killing me there with that pizza!  lol  I think I'd add some blue cheese... YUM!  Delicious!  yikes! about the bathroom trauma!  haha  hope it escapes your memory quickly! 

That pizza looks amazing! Hope you feel better soon!

That pizza looks so good. I'll bet it would be good with bosc pears. I hate jeans shopping too. Sometimes I just want to give in and get a pair of pajama jeans!

That bathroom story is a riot! The pizza looks amazing and such a good idea

LOL about the bathroom.  Love the pizza.

Love the sound of this pizza!! And SO funny about the bathroom stall opening!! Lol. When I was pregnant w my son I thought I had locked my stall.... nope.... and some lady came barging in when I was in mid stream!! Lol. I was MORTIFIED!! : / Haha

You should post this on something like food.com so you can get helpful feeback like:

5 stars!!! I substituted peperoni for pears, mozzeralla for raisins, and pizza sauce for crem fraiche, but it turned out great!

That would turn out great. But it wouldn't be a dessert pizza, you nerd. And I'm not kidding. It's really good. You should try grilling one. 

LOL to #1, I would have been so embarrassed!  The pizza looks wonderful.  I love the thinly sliced pears, they're gorgeous!

hmm.... so that you're not unpleasantly surprised... always always check for enough toilet papers in the stall.. those white roundish things are despicable... They might look like they're there but they're not... and, don't ever ever think that 1 piece is enough, it never is. (btw, this pizza look awesome! especially with a homemade dough... praline pecans.. i've never seen them... but i guess i could sugar coat pecans...) 

Ummm can we just pretend you didn't write the word dessert in the title of this recipe...just so that I can eat it for dinner?  K thanks.

eee I LOVE dessert pizzas! With a little crumbled goat cheese or bleu cheese too... this looks amazing :)

oh wow, I am loving this- I could eat it for dinner AND dessert! :)

I'm with you on buying jeans. There are few things I hate more. Blech. This looks delicious! I've been really loving praline pecans lately. I bet they're perfect on this. 

Just found this recipe, and I love it!  Although I won't lie, I eat it as dinner not dessert- anything to get something sweet for dinner!

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover