8/31/11

Zucchini and Pasta


When it comes to technology, I'm always a little bit behind the times.

I own a first generation iPhone. Yes, the ones that don't even use 3G. It would be almost cool if I was one of the first people to buy one, but I bought mine used from my sister's father-in-law when he upgraded about three years ago. My husband used to bug me to upgrade for the love of Pete but after I explained to him several times that my phone still works and iPhones are hip he's finally given up.   

Under pressure from my husband, I finally donated my VCR to Goodwill two years ago when we were packing to move out to Utah. Not that I used it much by that point, but I wasn't sure if I'd need to pull it out and watch all those episodes of Trading Spaces that I had taped. 

I owned a hand-me-down TV from my parents up until two years ago, too. A hand-me-down TV isn't necessarily bad, but hand-me-down-TV-my-parents-bought-when-I-was-a-small-child is not so good. Sometimes I wonder if my husband married me just as an excuse to get rid of it.

Anyway, in keeping with all my luddite, late-adopting technology ways, I joined Twitter just yesterday. And found out that it's pretty fun, can be very addictive and is yet another way to waste my time. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about it. If you are already on there, please let me know so I can follow you and have even more excuses to spend time online. (Yes, I hear you can tweet from a phone, but so far that's beyond me and my phone's skills.)

Also in keeping with my coming to most parties a little late, I have one final zucchini recipe for you today. If you don't have zucchini coming our your ears anymore (or if you never did) I would say this recipe would even be worth buying a bunch of zucchini at the grocery story. It's simple, fast, and surprisingly flavorful. It's so good, in fact, that I braved additional insults from the farm stand lady last week to buy zucchini to make it again. (Luckily for me she wasn't there this time.) Thinly sliced zucchini is cooked with garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil until it is very soft and then it is mashed into a sauce that you use serve over pasta. How simple and ingenius is that? You can leave out the fresh mint if you don't have any, but I really liked the freshness it added. You can also add in some heavy cream or extras like pine nuts or peas if you want, but even in its most simple form it's a great, fast summer dinner.

Better late than never, right?




Zucchini and Pasta

3 T olive oil
1 clove garlic finely chopped
6 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
pepper
1 lb penne, farfalle or other short pasta
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 T fresh packed mint leaves, torn
1 cup thawed frozen peas (optional)
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
1 T cream (optional)

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. When it is hot, add the garlic, zucchini, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until the zucchini is quite tender,
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the pasta is tender but still has some bite. Dip a heatproof glass measuring cup into the pasta cooking water and remove 1/2 cup. Drain the pasta into a colander and return it to the pot.
3. With a potato masher, mash the zucchini until it is coarse. Stir in the Parmesan and add the mixture to the cooked pasta. Stir well over low heat until the pasta is hot. Add a few spoons of the pasta cooking water if the mixture seems dry. Add in peas, pine nuts or cream if using, season with salt to taste, stir in the mint and serve.

Serves: 4-6


Recipe Source: The Boston Globe; adapted from “The River Cottage Cookbook’’


24 Click For Comments:

I would have never thought of using zucchini for a pasta sauce. Sounds great!

I joined Twitter way after creating a blog and Facebook page. It's totally addicting. And! I just traded in my fancy smart phone for one that has zero internet. It's a transition in progress for sure. Still in the mood for zucchini over here so this is a welcome recipe for sure :)

I'm still not sure I understand twitter. :) I figure I'll learn as I go along. I'm glad I'm not the only one that used a VCR in the last decade. My husband thinks I'm a nut for holding onto it for so long.

Thanks, Tracey! I love finding so many of my favorite bloggers on Twitter. It's like a whole new world. :)

That's so sad you lost so much food during the hurricane. Of course, in the grand scheme of things some lost power and food probably still feels lucky considering how badly other areas flooded.

No iphone, no twitter and no zucchini.  I've struck out.  Thanks for sharing this great recipe that I'll have to bookmark for next year.
Karen

Oh man, and I thought I was behind the times with my barely functioning iPhone from a few years ago.  I'm so excited you joined Twitter, I have to go find you.  I'm @twilhelmsen:disqus , in case I strike out on following you first!

I am so in love with zucchini this summer, I have to go buy some more and try this.  We had to throw away so much food after the hurricane that I really need to do a massive shopping trip, what's a few more items to make this dish? :)

Yay!  We can be twitter buddies! My parents still have their VCR...there are a lot of taped episodes of Dawson's Creek that I still need in my life so I won't let them give it up. 

As long as it's not officially fall yet, then there's still room for zucchini, especially when tossed with pasta!

I'm also late to join the tech bandwagon. My husband is finally getting an iPhone this year (after years of drooling every time we are eligible for an upgrade). He's going straight to the 5 (lucky him!). I will probably wait until we have kids to jump on that bandwagon as I know I'll be much more mobile at that point... I know lots of people still swimming in zucchini (i'm not one of them, which is fine... I've had plenty :) ) so I hope they see this recipe and try it!

Hehe, you're too funny. I actually used a vcr up until about 3 years ago to tape things...hey, dvr is an extra cost I wasn't willing to shell out yet! And I still haven't jumped on the twitter bandwagon. I'm not sure I really understand it...perhaps I'll get there one day ;)


This sounds like a simple and delicious summer pasta. I may have to go pick up some zucchini!

I love zucchini, this looks so wonderful!

I love the idea of using zucchini as a sauce! My boyfriend absolutely hates squash and zucchini, so this sounds like the perfect way to "hide" it in something he would actually eat.

I'm glad you joined twitter, I love it! I just followed you. :)

So true about hiding the veggies. I was going to trick my husband but he saw me cooking the zucchini so I knew it was all over. Yellow squash would blend in even more, I think. It's so funny what we try to sneak by our family and friends, isn't it?

Thanks for following me! I'm following you back. So fun!

Looks like a great zucchini recipe. I'm still looking for them. In fact, we're having stuffed zucchini tonight. 

Forget about the food - the blog looks fantastic! :)

I can't believe you weren't on Twitter until now! PS looove all the zucchini posts, makes me want to run out to the Farmers' Market and stock up ASAP! Soo fresh and light for a pasta too (won't weigh you down). 

If you forget to thaw the peas, you can toss them in with the pasta for the last few minutes of the cooking time, and just keep going.

I just found a GPS tracking app that came with my phone - and I've had my phone for almost a year!

Love your pasta dish - enjoy your weekend!

hard changing with the times, we always resistant to change, I too I've held on to my old phone can't really do anything with it just making calls and sending texts. Your Zucchini and pasta looks really great. Would love to be your follower on twitter. Follow me @myfudo

what a wonderful recipe! i'll have to try it!

I really like your recipes. There is a new platform where you can upload them and are seen with a design adapted to iPad. You can also link to your blog, get statistics... It is http://www.cibos.me

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover