8/15/11

Cinnamon Roll Cookies


In my family, there is story about my sister and her husband that has become legendary.

It has to do with a shared Cinnabon, my sister getting distracted and my brother-in-law eating the whole heart of the Cinnabon. 

Yes, the whole ooey, gooey, sweetest, most cinnamony part of the Cinnabon. 



The very fact that this story has become legend should tell you just how seriously we take our food in my family, especially our favorite foods. Don't mess with us and our cinnamon rolls. 

When I tell you these cinnamon roll cookies are delicious, then, you know that I mean it. You all know I love some cinnamon, and cookies are one of my favorite things to bake. Wrap a buttery freezer cookie around some cinnamon filling and you've got a bite size morsel of deliciousness. Plus you get the bonus ease of a slice and bake cookie that you can have in your freezer ready to bake at any time. Of course in our house, we find cinnamon roll cookie emergencies after the dough has been in the freezer for a grand total of an hour or so. Once you taste these, I think your family probably will, too. 



Cinnamon Roll Cookies


Ingredients: 


1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 large egg white 
1 T water

Directions: 

1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, butter, salt and vanilla. Add the flour, stirring to make a cohesive dough. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to use it. 
2. Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Roll it into a 9x12 inch rectangle. Whisk egg white with water until foamy, and brush on the surface of the rolled dough.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle it evenly over the dough. Starting with the long end, roll the dough into a log, sealing the edge. Wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the dough from the freezer and unwrap it. Using a sharp knife, gently cut it into 1/2-inch slices. Transfer them to a baking sheet.
5. Bake the cookies 12 to 15 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown. Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool. Drizzle with a glaze if desired.

Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Recipe source: The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion





14 Click For Comments:

Do you know if these would be good to freeze after you bake them?

Yes, they freeze very well. Just make sure they are well wrapped.

Thanks! I was worried they would only freeze good before they are baked. Totally going to make these for a cookie exchange!

So I made them and they turned out crunchy hard, are they suppose to be?

They should be like a butter cookie, so not soft, but not crunchy hard. Maybe try baking them for less time?

I tried making these today and they are SUPER delicious!!! They're the best cookies I've ever made I cannot believe how good they are. Anyway(no matter how great they are), just to clarify, in step 1 when you say 'whisk together the sugar...' - does this sugar refer to the powdered sugar? Thank you!! :-)

Yes, this refers to the powdered sugar. I'm so glad you liked them!

Wow.. Simple enough to make but the dough DID NOT stay together.. As I was rolling it into a log, it cracked beyond repair.. So I put it in the freezer til it was firm, and when I tried to cut the log into the individual cookies, they literally fell apart into a pile of crumbly dough and sugar. Decided to just throw it in the oven as a log since cutting it wasn't an option. Hopefully something decent comes out of that. However, the dough does taste great..

So sorry to hear that, Jamie! I've made these several times and never had that problem. I'll check the recipe to make sure the flour measurements are correct.

I've made these every Christmas for the past few years. Love them! If I were to make the log in advance, do you see any reason why I could leave it in the freezer for a week or two before cutting and baking? Thanks :-)

I would think a week in the freezer would be just fine. I'm so glad you like them!

Can I make with out the eggs white will it still turn out the same

The egg white wash is mostly for cosmetics rather than taste, so you could leave it out if you wanted.

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover