4/8/11

Quinoa with Blueberries, Feta and Almonds


Before I forget - we're on Facebook now! If you would like to be a fan, click on the "Like" button on the right hand column. Also, if you have a food blog with a facebook page, please let us know in the comments below so that we can be a fan of your page, too. I love having another source to find other great recipes, and I love using that "like" button. The internet is just amazing, isn't it?

Thanks for listening to that brief announcement. Onto the quinoa.

I've mentioned before that quinoa is a protein powerhouse, and I love finding ways to include it in our diet. It has such a great, mild flavor and fluffy texture. I love it as a change from regular rice side dishes. Its nutty flavor goes well with fruit, fresh and dried, and in this recipe the blueberries provide just enough sweetness. Feta gives some salty flavor and almonds contribute texture and more nuttiness. Add in a little lemon juice for some acidity and you've got a healthy side dish that you can feel good about taking a second helping of. 


Quinoa with Blueberries, Feta and Almonds

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (be sure to do this - it can have a bitter taste if you don't.)
1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds, toasted
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1T lemon juice
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions:

1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer until quinoa is tender, but still chewy, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa 
with a fork.

2. Stir in almonds, salt, blueberries and lemon juice. Top with feta and serve.

Yield: 6-8 side dish servings

Recipe Source: HeatOvenTo350

6 Click For Comments:

Hi, I just found your blog and love it! This looks so healthy!!

Really enjoying your blog! This looks delicious, a little different for me, I've never had quinoa yet, and this is packed with such great flavor.

I love quinoa. I am always looking for new recipes to try for it. I am bookmarking this one, it sounds delicious. I love the almonds and blueberries. :)

Yes!! I just bought some more quinoa because we can't seem to have enough of it these days, and this a great new recipe that I can try!!

Hi I just found your site today. I would never have thought of that combo but it sounds delicious. I LOVE quinoa. I sometimes do a breakfast version with quinoa, chopped cooked scrambled eggs, green onion, chopped turkey bacon and a little cheese. It's so good!

I just found your blog through your TK recipe of the brownie/cookie dough sandwiches. those look so good i cannot wait to make them :) All the best to you girls! I have 2 best girlfriends from college that I still keep in close touch with. I live in Oklahoma, one is in Kansas and the other is in Colorado. We only get to see each other 1-2 times per year but I cannot imagine my life without them. I'm really happy that you girls have found a way to keep your friendship close :)

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover