4/4/11

Cuban Chicken Pizza


This recipe jumped ahead of a list of other things I was going to post on because I'm just so excited to share it. For one, it's from this cookbook:


It's awesome. See all those pink post-it notes sticking out of it? Those are things I want to make soon. It came in a package on my doorstep Friday from one of my favorite bloggers in the world, Jenna from JennaLaughs. She gave it to me just because she knows I'm one of her biggest fans. Or because I won the giveaway she hosted on her site. One of the two. I like to go with biggest fan. She's not only a talented cook with some great recipes, but I just love the way she writes about things. I swear, she can make any subject seem funny. She also just got engaged and has the sweetest engagement story that she was sweet enough to share with the world. In all, she's awesome. Thank you, Jenna!


The other reason I'm so excited to share this recipe is that it is really good, really easy, but not really high in calories. How often do those three things happen for the same dish? Not often. I had extra taste testers this weekend (meaning, my husband wasn't the only other person eating dinner with me) because my mother-in-law was visiting and my sister-in-law came up from college. We unanimously agreed that these pizzas were delicious, and light enough to make us feel a little bit better about the great Chinese food we plowed through the night before. (If you ever find yourself in American Fork, UT, go to Fong's for Chinese. You won't regret it.) Black beans, corn, chicken, cumin, lime juice and pepperjack cheese, on top of a flour tortilla and topped with cilantro. Delicious. 


Cuban Chicken Pizza

Ingredients:

4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
Cooking spray
1 (11 oz) can whole-kernal corn, drained
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 cups diced roasted chicken breast (a rotisserie chicken is a great, easy source)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T fresh lime juice
3/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
4 tsp chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place flour tortilla on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove tortillas from oven; stack tortillas and press down to flatten. Set aside.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Add corn, cumin, chicken, black beans and garlic to the pan. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.

3. Place tortillas on baking sheet. Spoon 3/4 cup bean mixture onto each tortilla; top each with 3 T of cheese. Bake at 350 for 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle each pizza with 1 tsp cilantro. 

Yield: 4 servings

Recipe Source: Cooking Light: The Essential Dinner Tonight Cookbook

20 Click For Comments:

Now that looks like the perfect "pizza" to me. I cannot wait to give it a try.

I love the idea of making a pizza atop a tortilla! So clever, and what a delicious recipe. I'll definitely be saving this to try soon. Thanks, Nicole!

Wow, these look delish and easy! I was just trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight, too...

yummmm i've made these before. SO GOOD! you're are so pretty :)

This looks spectacular! If it's only half as good as it looks in your pics, then I'm sold. A definite must try... minus the cilantro! (oh, and that looks like an awesome recipe book too... me want! And another item makes it to my [too long] wish list.)

Yum!!! Delicious food that is low cal is a winning combo!! So sweet of Jenna to get you that cookbook : )

I have a Cooking Light cookbook with just about as many post-its as you do :) They are so reliable when it comes to fantastic, healthy meals. I am sure this one definitely didn't disappoint. It looks delicious!

Yay!! This post made me smile. Thank you for saying all those sweet things! Life has been insane lately, as you know... so the blog has taken to the back burner a bit... but you are so encouraging! YOU are so sweet and awesome. I'm glad we found each other.

I've made these Cuban Pizza's too!! I love them. So easy and delicious. I'm so glad you're enjoying the cook book :)

This looks great, and so does that cookbook! I have a cuban pork tenderloin recipe in my blog...check it out, I think it might be a good sub for a change of pace.

I love every single ingredient in this dish! I think I could eat Mexican food (and cilantro) every day and never get sick of it.

When I make tacos, I always put a bit of lime zest over the top - it really wakes them up!

Thanks for the recipe!

What a neat idea for pizza, and relatively healthy too! I love Cooking Light but haven't tried that particular book. I'm going to see if my library has it so I can flip through :)

these look great! I would bet they make a fabulous quesadilla too!

These look so delicious, I am drooling in front of my screen ;)! Thank you for sharing the recipe :).

I love the idea of using a tortilla for the pizza base! These look so delicious, great pictures :)

I LOVE cooking light recipes....they are always sooo delicious! This cuban pizza looks incredible! Mmmmm!! :)

looks so delicious and healthy! I love black bean and corn combo- Never even thought of using it on a pizza.

Where the tortilla pizza bases hard to pick up?

Thanks, everyone! @Claire - they weren't hard to pick up if you pre-crisp the tortillas before adding the toppings as suggested in the recipe. I tried not pre-criping them and they turned out messier, but still not too hard to eat.

Cooking Light has such wonderful recipes and this pizza looks fantastic! Great photos!

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover