2/11/11

Grapefruit Avocado Salad


You might not think of grapefruit and avocado as good friends, but they are. They get along great together. Grapefruit brings a sour-sweet juiciness to the friendship, and avocado answers with a creamy mildness that isn't overpowered by the grapefruit. Put them in a salad together and you can have the taste of summer in the dead of winter. And about this time of winter a little taste of summer is more than welcome. I've tried this salad with three or four different salad dressings, and by far my favorite is a honey-lemon dressing that adds just enough sweetness to balance the grapefruit but not drown it out. I've made this salad with fresh grapefruit that I cut and section myself (I'm including pictures on how to do this at the end of the post), but I have to admit that half the time I'm lazy and buy it pre-sectioned in a jar in the produce section of the grocery story. Even cutting the grapefruit myself, the preparation time for both the salad and the dressing is minimal, but the end result is impressive and delicious. 


Grapefruit Avocado Salad

1 large grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
2 large avocados
15 oz mixed greens

Cut avocado into slices just before serving. Top mixed greens with grapefruit sections and avocado. Dress with Honey-Lemon dressing and serve.

Yield - 6-8 servings

Honey-Lemon Salad Dressing
(Makes 1/2 cup)

Ingredients
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions
   1. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the lemon zest and honey. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Recipe Source: adapted from Food and Wine

How to section a grapefruit:

Cut the top and bottom off the grapefruit . . .

And then cut away the peel from the sides. Make sure you cut off all the white membrane because it is sour.

Next, cut each section out by cutting along each membrane.


Repeat several more times, and you're done!


1 Click For Comments:

I love grapefruit and avocado together. I had them in a salad at a restaurant and thought it was delicious. I'll have to try this!

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover