2/27/11

Better than the Box Brownies




Ever since I was a kid, I loved to bake from scatch. I've tried the packaged cookie doughs, and even the dry mix cookies that all you have to do is add an egg and water, but no matter what homemade cookies are FAR better. On the opposite end of the spectrum however, are brownies. I've tried dozens of made from scratch recipes and am always disappointed. Well this last week my husband was craving some brownies and I was shocked that I didn't have a box on hand (I'm one of those that has at least 5 boxes in my food storage for the last minute go-to treat). So I went to the internet scouring website after website for something that was easy and had ingredients that I had in my cupboard. I happened upon FoodNetwork.com and Alton Brown had a brownie recipe that seemed too easy to be true, or good. But what the heck, I thought, I'll try it out. So I did and the day has come that I can say to the masses, that I have found a brownie recipe that is way better than the box mix!! They are chewy, and fudgy, and rich, and everything you'd ever want in a brownie, but something more. I can't name what it is, but every person that had one was amazed and asked for the recipe. So as promised, here you go.



Better than the Box Brownies
Source: Alton Brown

4 Eggs
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
8 oz Butter, melted
1 1/4 cups Cocoa, sifted
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon Course Salt

1. Heat oven to 300 degrees
2. Beat the eggs on medium speed until they are light yellow and a bit frothy. Beat in the sugars until combined.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients.
4. Pour into a greased/floured 8" pan.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with some crumbs on it.
6. Let cool for at least 15 minutes and enjoy every last crumb, these won't last long!



3 Click For Comments:

Those look amazing and I am definitely trying those. NOthing better than a goey brownie!

I love brownies, and this looks almost as easy as the stuff from a box! I'm looking forward to trying them. - Sarah

I had them for the first time last week - WOW.

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover