9/7/10

Quinoa Apple Curry Salad


Trisha was asking me about quinoa recipes a few weeks ago and I remember being surprised that I didn't really have any to give her. I've always felt like someone who was "in the know" about quinoa before it became popular because years ago I worked in a lab that was just kicking off a big quinoa breeding project, so when I realized I didn't have any go-to quinoa recipes I knew that had to change. I made this one this past weekend for a dinner we had with my husband's sister and her roommate. I wasn't sure how it would go over with a couple college freshman but they each took seconds, and so did I. It's the perfect food for this time of year, too. Can you get too many apples in your diet in the fall? I don't think so.

To start off with, maybe I should explain quinoa to those of you who are scratching your head right now. Quinoa is a little grain that is slightly larger than couscous. It bakes up light and fluffy and has a slightly nutty flavor. It's packed with protein, which makes it very healthy and filling.



To cook the quinoa, just add 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and let simmer until the water is absorbed - about 15 minutes.

While the quinoa is cooking, mix up the dressing. This includes honey, minced onion, curry powder, salt, lemon juice and olive oil.
When the quinoa is finished cooking, add the dressing, thinly sliced apple and almonds. You can also add some dried cranberries if you want.

Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Quinoa Apple Curry Salad
1/4 cup raw whole almonds
1 cup white quinoa
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small apple, cut into 1/8-inch-thick wedges

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 7 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop nuts.

2.Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa; return to a boil. Stir quinoa; cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until quinoa is tender but still chewy, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork; let cool.

3.Whisk together honey, onion, curry powder, salt, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Whisking constantly, pour in oil in a slow, steady stream; whisk until dressing is emulsified. Add quinoa, apple and nuts; toss well.

Recipe Source: adapted from Martha Stewart Living

0 Click For Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover