8/17/10

Guacamole

Is there anything better than guacamole and chips? Or guacamole and anything? My husband and I have been known to mash a few avocados, add some pepper and salt, throw in some tortilla chips and call it dinner. Can you tell we don't have kids yet? This recipe is one I use when I make guacamole to bring anywhere. It originates from my brother's childhood friend, who grew up to be a real live chef at a fancy schmancy restaurant. He made dinner for my brother's family when they were visiting once and my brother diligently wrote down how he made everything, including the guacamole. I'm thankful he was persistent in getting the amounts that his friend was just throwing together to taste because I could never have recreated this recipe without them. It makes a sizable batch of guacamole, probably enough for five or six people, but I nearly always double it because it goes that fast.

To start out with, you need some nice, ripe avocados.


Cut them in half and use a spoon to scoop out all their deliciousness into a bowl.

Add about 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro to the avocados and mash them together. Even if you are a cilantro hater, don't cut it out of this recipe. It really adds something and doesn't overpower the guacamole. In fact, I'd say this recipe was a major part of why I went from a cilantro hater to cilantro lover.


Add some sour cream, lime juice, salt, black pepper and minced grilled red onions. If I'm not grilling something, I usually cook a slice of red onions in a pan or broil it. The point is just to tame it a bit so it's not so strong and overpowering.

Now, add some heat. I love this recipe because there's no chopping hot peppers and wearing gloves to keep from getting the spicy oils on your hands and trying not to touch your eyes and forgetting and ending up with stinging, burning eyes and pockets of extreme spiciness in the guacamole because you didn't chop the peppers small enough. Nope. Just add some of this:


Be careful, though. It's really spicy. I always add less than I think I need and then add a few drops at a time until it's the right heat for me.

Stir it together, and put it on everything you can think of.

Justin's Guacamole
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
3 avocados
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 rings grilled onions, minced
1 T lime juice
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4-1/2 tsp sriracha chili sauce

Mash the cilantro with the avocados. Add the other ingredients and stir together.  

0 Click For Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover