6/15/10

Root Beer Float Cookies



I love baking cookies. I love it so much that once when my husband's aunt asked me to make 500 of them for her daughter's wedding, by end of the conversation it was me who was thanking her. I have a good sized collection of my absolute favorites that I make most of the time, but sometimes I want something a little different from the normal chocolate chip cookie or snickerdoodle. That's where these cookies come in. I saw some root beer extract in my cupboard one day and thought, "What would that do in a cookie?" The answer, an hour or so later, was that it would make a yummy root beer float flavored cookie that I couldn't eat just one of. It's a fun recipe for a picnic or potluck or any time you want a root beer float without the brain freeze. It also makes some killer ice cream sandwiches.

Anyway, you start by creaming a couple sticks of unsalted butter with white and brown sugar. Add an egg and mix until fluffy.


Add in a couple tablespoons of milk, oil, vanilla, and the secret (but not really that secret) ingredient . . .

Root Beer concentrate. You can find this in the spice and flavorings section of most grocery stores. If you get yourself some dry ice and sugar at the same time you can make root beer with the leftover concentrate. Or you can just save it for more cookies, or go crazy and make some root beer cupcakes. Hmmm.....


Mix in some flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar.
Stir in some white chocolate chips

Drop by rounded tablespoonful on a cookie sheet and bake about 10 minutes at 350.


Then try not to eat them all at once. . .


They also make some killer ice cream sandwiches.




Root Beer Float Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 T milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 T plus 2 tsp root beer concentrate
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350. Place butter and sugars in large bowl. Using electric mixer at medium speed, cream. Beat in egg. Continue to beat until mixture is fluffy. Beat in oil, milk, vanilla and root beer concentrate.

2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix until combined. Fold in vanilla chips.

3. Drop ~2 T of dough at a time onto ungreased cookies sheets. Bake 10 min. Let cool five minutes on the cookie sheet and them remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe Source: HeatOvenTo350

11 Click For Comments:

How fun to find your blog from TK! How fun to find this d'lish cookie recipe!!! Can't wait to browse and discover more of your recipes. :-)

I LOVE these cookies. I brought them into work and ran out very quickly. I have shared this recipe with many people. If you like rootbeer floats, try these cookies. They are excellent.

Those are brilliant! My daughter would love them. Now I'm wishing the I had some white chocolate chips in the house so I could make them tomorrow.

I have to admit, a rootbeer cookie sounds pretty strange, but using a rootbeer cookie to make an ice cream sandwich sounds incredible. I love rootbeer floats.

I am going to make these today! Can you tell me why there is a 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in these cookies and 1 cup of butter? I have never made a cookie with that much oil and butter in it.
They look great!! Cannot wait to try them!

Hi Adria,

The oil adds texture and moistness, but if you wanted to try it without the oil or with less (or less butter), I think it should still work. You might have to play around a bit with the amount of flour. The recipe does make a large batch of cookies, which helps spread out the fat, but you're right that it's not a light cookie to say the least. Let me know if you try to reduce the oil or butter and how it works!

Thanks for the tip!
I made them today, and they turned out great! I ended up adding a 1/4 cup plus 1 TBS. of oil, and I used 2 tsp. of cream of tartar.
What an awesome cookie!! Everybody loves them!
I posted my pics on my blog. I did not even know root beer concentrate existed before yesterday. Thanks!

I'm glad you enjoyed them! I checked out your post and the cookies look beautiful. Thanks for letting me know how the oil-reduction experiment went.

I made these last night and they were delicious. Thanks for the great recipe. What a fun idea!

I made these recently and they are delicious!!! Thank you!

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover