6/22/10

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad

As Trisha mentioned earlier, I just love salads. I don't know what it is about them, but the mixture of tastes and textures is just wonderful to me. I especially love this chicken taco salad because 1) I just can't master eating tacos out of a shell without spilling food all over myself and 2) chipotle chiles are delicious. If you haven't had a chance to use them before, they are a hot, smoked pepper that you can get canned in a yummy adobo sauce. They are in most supermarkets near the enchilada sauce and canned jalepenos. If you are unlike me and can actually eat hot food without turning red and sweat pouring down the side of your face, you could probably increase the amount of chipotle peppers in this recipe. Me, I always chop up the full amount and add it in slowly so I don't make it too hot to eat. I also cut open the peppers and remove the seeds because I'm just the wimpy. They have a great flavor, though, and help balance out the cilantro so I don't suggest skipping them altogether, even if you are a wimp like me.

The recipe goes together pretty fast. Chop up your chipotle peppers.

 

Mix the peppers with light sour cream, cilantro, cumin, chile powder, lime juice and salt.

Stir together.

In a large bowl combine romain lettuce, cooked chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans and avocado.


Mix the dressing in with the salad and serve immediately. I like to serve mine with chips, and sometimes even break up the chips and mix them right into the salad. If you are feeling naughty, a cup of shredded cheddar cheese also tastes great in here, too.


Dressing amounts:
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2/3 cup light sour cream
1 T minched chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chile powder
4 tsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp salt

Salad amounts:
1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded
2 cups chopped grilled chopped chicken
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can yellow corn, rinsed and drained

0 Click For Comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover